County fair begins Sept. 5; elephants, Kid Rock return
The 162nd Allegan County Fair opens Friday, Sept. 5, with midway rides starting at 3 p.m. and tractor pulls featured in the grandstand at 7 p.m.
“We’re going to have a lot of great new rides,” said fair manager Saree Miller. “There’s something for everyone.”
Built for preschoolers is the new “Jungle Explorer” featuring riding tubs shaped like jungle animals that meander through a jungle back drop.
For older children who don’t yet meet the height requirements of the larger rides, the new “Lil’ Scrambler” is a smaller and slower version of the Scrambler.
For those who meet height restrictions and enjoy big thrills, the “Twister” will be back featuring a gondola that swings up 50 feet.
John Burrows, operations manager for the fair’s midway company Skerbeck Brothers Shows, said, “This ride has not been in Allegan for the fair since we changed the ride’s scenery package a few years ago. It looks beautiful, has a high capacity and provides a unique action for teens.”
Last year’s new addition of the monstrous, two-armed Twin Flip Ride will also be back.
Other highlights this year include:
• Children’s day, Saturday, Sept. 6; midway rides start at noon.
• Kid Rock, 7 p.m., Sept. 6
• Family Day, Sunday, Sept. 7, at noon
• “Taste of the Allegan County Fair,” free, 1-4 p.m., Sept. 7
• Lady Antebellum and Joe Nichols, 7 p.m., Sept. 7
• Senior Citizen Day, Monday, Sept. 8, 8 a.m.
• Ladies’ Day, Wednesday, Sept. 10, 9 a.m.
• Florida Georgia Line plus Parmalee and Gunnar & the Grizzly Boys, 7 p.m.,
Wednesday, Sept. 10
• Veterans Day, Thursday, Sept. 11,
• Allegan County Fair parade, 6:30 p.m. in downtown Allegan, Sept. 11.
The grand marshals for this year’s parade are Dave and Irene Waanders of Waanders Concrete, which has been a longtime supporter of 4-H at the fair.
Irene has been a fair board member for 25 years as well as a superintendent in the Foods and Canning Division for 54 years. Dave is a longtime, dedicated volunteer at the fair.
• Hunter Hayes; The Railers, Friday, Sept. 12, at 7 p.m.
The Allegan County Fair Idol will again span several days:
• youth division, 2 p.m., Sept. 6.
• adult division, 2 p.m., Sept. 7,
• semi-finals, 6 p.m., Sept. 9.
• finals, 2 p.m., Sept. 12.
• Elephant Encounter will return to the fair with daily shows for families.
• The Allegan County Historical Society will open the John Pahl Historical Village.
For more information, visit www.allegancountyfair.com.