Otsego prepares for an even bigger purple week
The third Purple Community Game for Otsego Public Schools is Friday, Sept. 26.
Each year the event grows with multiple sports getting involved to honor loved ones who have battled cancer or are continuing the fight.
During Purple Community Week, Otsego schools partner with Van Andel Institute in Grand Rapids to raise money for cancer research. Purple is the color associated with cancer survival and with Van Andel Institute and 100 percent of proceeds stay local going directly to research at the institute.
In Otsego’s first two purple events, the community helped to raise nearly $30,000. Otsego Public Schools now has a plaque on the “Wall of Hope” inside the Van Andel Institute because of the contributions.
The community gets involved by sponsoring a player’s purple jersey, a table at the game or a yard sign to help paint the town purple. Names of those affected by cancer may be placed on the back of a jersey and after the game, the jersey goes home with the sponsor.
Otsego’s Purple Community Events include:
• The girls’ swim team will be wearing purple caps at the Tuesday, Sept. 23, meet against Allegan.
• The soccer team will be wearing sponsored purple jerseys at their Wednesday, Sept. 24, game against Vicksburg.
• The varsity volleyball team begins a collaboration with Three Rivers with sponsored purple jerseys on Thursday, Sept. 25, with the Wildcats.
• The football team will wear sponsored jerseys Friday, Sept. 26, against Three Rivers. Cheerleaders will also be wearing T-shirts with the names of loved ones on the back.
Three Rivers is joining in the Purple Community Events by selling purple T-shirts to their students, staff and community. A short ceremony before the game will include the choir singing the national anthem and fireworks after the band’s halftime show.
• Cross country runners will wear purple at the Bulldog Invite on Saturday, Sept. 27.
For a jersey, table or yard sign sponsorship, contact Holly McCaw at (269) 692-6073 or hmccaw@otsegops. org.
To order T-shirts, bracelets, beads and lanyards online, visit ttps://webforms.vai.org/ pcforms/ or fill out and turn in order forms at a school building office.
For more information, visit www.otsegops.org/news/purplepreview2014.